DRINK 2L OF WATER BEFORE YOU MOVE OUT OF HOME

DRINK 2L OF WATER BEFORE YOU MOVE OUT OF HOME

There comes a time in your life when you wake up one morning and think, “It is time to move out of home”.  I have had enough. You are probably tired of having to always cook a full meal and sometimes you want to go to bed with a bowl full of Kellogg’s.

However, this is not a decision that should be taken lightly. If you want to move out of home, there is a number of things you need to consider before you “leave and cleave” to your new place.

Below is a summary from a few of my friends on things to consider before moving, mistakes that they have made and how they would have done things better.

What to consider before you move out of home.

1. Know the reason why you want to move. Is it an emotional move? Are you moving closer to work? Are you just having a bad day? Is this a really good decision?
  2. Ensure that you have priced in all living expenses.
  3. Give yourself sufficient time to build up an emergency fund that can at least cover (A bed, couch, microwave, three month’s rent including the deposit, moving costs and other administrative costs).
  4. Search for places that are within your budget.
  5. Search for places that are close to work. If the place is out of your price range, perhaps consider getting a roommate.
  6. Know the travelling route, the amount of traffic on the roads and the number of taxis to get to work if using public transport.
  7. Consider joining a lift club in order to reduce costs.
  8. When purchasing décor, curtains and other essentials, travel with someone who has prior knowledge that can help you to identify bargains.
  9. Purchase second hand or cheap décor at places like Cash Crusaders, Cash Converters and Decorfurn.
  10. Get WIFI as opposed to data, that’s a costly exercise.
  11. Don’t get DSTV unless you really need it. You can use a laptop to stream.
  12. Create a budget for your expenses and stick to it.

Moving out of home should be an exciting journey to take as a young and budding individual. It is a coming of age and an opportunity to grow and rewrite your own rules. Though, if done haphazardly without employing a holistic approach, it may be detrimental to your cause.

Therefore, the next time you consider a move, sit down, have a date with your bank account, drink 2 litres of water, count the cost and then move.

Otherwise, Hlala kini joe…

19 thoughts on “DRINK 2L OF WATER BEFORE YOU MOVE OUT OF HOME

1. Reply
    Tokollo
    July 28, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Hlala kini!!
    Good advice…I wish I had friends who gave me that advice before I moved out of home years ago.

1. Reply
      Thebe
      July 28, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Thank you. This means I owe some of my friends fit the advice they gave. Hehehe

2. Reply
      Thebe Matlhaku
      July 29, 2020 at 3:18 pm

I am blessed to have my people

2. Reply
    Refentse motlhaping
    July 28, 2020 at 1:58 pm

#Crying… Maybe it was an emotional decision.
    2lt is a lot but I’ll have a glass and stay at home.

1. Reply
      Thebe Matlhaku
      July 29, 2020 at 3:19 pm

The whole 2L. Not just a glass. Than you for taking the time to read the article.

3. Reply
    Lethu
    July 28, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Very informative. Compare prices never rush a purchase.

1. Reply
      Thebe Matlhaku
      July 29, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Thank You. I agree. Thank you for taking the time to read.

4. Reply
    Tshegofatso
    July 28, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Spot one! I moved out last year without thinking rationally. Signed a 6 months contract, kanti I couldn’t afford to get a a TV and my fridge was always empty. I spent most nights at home lol. This article could have saved me lots of money. Drinking 2L of water and considering the cost is essential guys… Trust me!

5. Reply
    Nyandano
    July 28, 2020 at 8:03 pm

This is good advice. Exactly what I needed to know before moving out of home.

1. Reply
      Thebe Matlhaku
      July 29, 2020 at 3:20 pm

We all make mistakes. Hence, the reason i wrote this article to help. Lets hope next time you will be better prepared.

6. Reply
    Rhulani
    July 28, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Thank you for this T. I’m gonna come back here once I’m ready to move for the second time. Very well written, to the point and informative.

7. Reply
    Vuyile
    July 28, 2020 at 8:38 pm

Well constructed bra👊 as for “hlala kini Joe” 🤣🤣

1. Reply
      Thebe Matlhaku
      July 29, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Thank you Rhu. I would love that.

2. Reply
      Thebe Matlhaku
      July 29, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Vele. Hlala kini!

8. Reply
    Menziwa
    July 28, 2020 at 8:44 pm

Some important insights in this article – Thank you.

Agreed. Moving away from home is always something that should only be considered once you’re financially ready.

One thing that we take lightly, is the pressure we feel (if you do) when your peers, or even the people on the timelines of your preferred socials are taking this “next step” and you feel stagnant. The outdated thinking on ageism is also a catalyst that pushes many into making this decision too early.

Whilst it is important to set benchmarks for yourself, the one thing I will always encourage before leaving home is ensuring that you’ve kicked off with a healthy retirement savings strategy.

TFSA/RAF (or both) for example, whichever suits your lifestyle. A solid foundation is needed and this requires a healthy habit of saving early on.

1. Reply
      Thebe Matlhaku
      July 29, 2020 at 3:22 pm

I agree with you. Lifestyle inflation is a problem and we all need to walk in our own lanes.

9. Reply
    Maurice
    July 29, 2020 at 11:04 am

If you move out of home without a plan – You will remember the tons of teaspoons mommy had at home, when you have 4 friends at your place, whilst only owning 2 teaspoons… I moved out of the nest about 40 months ago, the first few months burnt my savings as things I had not planned for emanated. You have to prepare yourself mentally, emotionally, physically and financially because if you do not, the price will be hefty, both mentally and financially. Also have honest conversations with people whom have went through the process.

10. Reply
    Phuti
    July 30, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Also, the tricky thing about this is the pressure of the peers that we put on ourselves. “What will Thebe say and think of me if he knew I stay with my mom and my mom’s ugly old cat?”. Rid off this mentality then you close to good.

1. Reply
      Thebe
      July 30, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Abantu bazothini syndrome is the worst!