If you’re like me, you have probably been told that you need to know the will of God regarding a particular area of your life before you can move. Alternatively, you have been told that you need heaven’s endorsement on something to know that it is yours. My favourite one, if God has not said anything, the best thing to do is park it and wait on his confirmation.
I have had countless conversations with colleagues and friends, and the question is always the same, how do I know that it is the will of God?
Let me trigger you for a second, have you ever prayed and thought that you have received God’s confirmation on something only to find out that you’re the one that convinced yourself? God be like, “Confirmation from who fam?”
When asked, I used to give generic answers such as pray about it. However, the likelihood is that you have prayed about it and you’re stuck, and all prayed out.
In my research, the best explanation that I have sourced was through a Video by the Lead Pastor of Redefined TV, Jerry Flowers. In his insert, he mentions that there are several ways in which children of God can receive God’s confirmation.
- His word. I have been taught that the primary way in which God speaks to us is through His word. What is then required of us is to search through the scriptures and look for what God thinks about what it is that we need confirmation.
- His people. God can give confirmation through His people. This includes but is not limited to ministers, friends, and family. Though, I would like to err on the side of caution with this one as not everyone that calls God by his name is someone you can get counsel from. You need to look at the character of the individual before you take that step.
Most importantly, once a word is received from an individual, interrogate that what has been said is in line with the word of God. A word from someone only passes if it does not contradict the word of God.
- Dreams. God can confirm things to people through dreams.
- Restriction. Have you ever tried to do something in your own strength and the more effort you put into that thing the more roadblocks appeared? When there is a restriction in what you’re trying to do or achieve it may be that God is redirecting you to another destination.
- Flow. There are certain things that you have done or you do in your life that naturally come easy to you. Alternatively, when you engage in something and there are no roadblocks and things just seem to work out in your favour, it may be God saying stay the course and see it to the end.
But, in all thy ways, still pray because every open door isn’t God. The devil opens doors too. Some opportunities are really traps playing dress-up.
– Ps. Jerry Flowers
- Repetition. Sometimes God confirms through repetition. Have you ever had a day where something has been repeated in your devotions, in conversations with people, on radio, TV, and so forth? This may be God giving you some confirmation.
Could it be that God is speaking but is not speaking what we prefer and since He is not speaking what we prefer we think He is silent…
– Ps. Jerry Flowers
Sometimes we get so fixated with what we want for ourselves that anything God says seems like an attack on our plans and dreams. Though, we need to remember that we need to align our plans to His plans for the greater masterplan.
As I sit here and write this piece, I hope you’re able to search through the scriptures, seek Godly counsel, dream, discern and receive God’s confirmation in every area of your life.